January 11, 2013 by suchandsuchfarm
It’s January 10th, so it may be a little overdue. But it’s never too late to set goals, right? Maybe my first New Year’s Resolution should be to stop procrastinating and make more lists. Maybe not. But here’s a list of goals that we would like to accomplish this year at Such and Such Farm:
- Get the greenhouse up and running in time to plant starts for our garden.
- Plant a full vegetable garden (7,500 sq ft with 18 types of vegetables, 35 varieties). Also with this goal is to increase the efficiency of the garden. Not wasting space and utilize succession planting. Additionally… I’d like to see us grow a ton of food. Literally. 2,000 lbs. of food.
- Re-plant our berry patch or perennial raspberries, blueberries and blackberries. All of these berries are high in antioxidants, and we could all use some more antioxidants in our life. Am I right? Ideally, I’d like to add on perennial berries and fruits each year to increase our self reliance.
- Plant perennial raised beds of artichokes, asparagus and garlic. For one, all of those are tasty and two, if you take care of them they’ll come up year after year.
- Sell at a farmer’s market.
- Increase our poultry flock to at least 30 chickens and possibly turkey/water fowl.
- Incubate and hatch our own eggs.
- Entertain the idea of getting goats.
- Plant more grasses, plants and greens in the chicken yard to provide more useful landscape for them (more shade, more to forage, better predator control).
- Can and preserve as much food as humanly possible.
- Re-do the bathroom in the house.
- Set up our wood shop and pull barn next to the wood boiler.
- Set up our bigger composting system.
- Learn to make soap.
- Grow and dry herbs on the back porch.
- Have more large, family style dinners and get togethers for family and friends. Preferably outside, eating fresh food from the garden while we’re all sitting at a 30′ long picnic table in the middle of the garden a la Martha Stewart.